Skip licence

If you need to place a skip on the public highway, you need to appoint a skip operator to do this for you.

The skip operator will need permission from: Calderdale Streetworks department . The skip should be placed on the carriageway, preferably not on the footway, pavement or verge.


To apply, complete the PDFSkip licence - application form [PDF 23KB] and email it to: . Give full details of the skip's location and dates the permit is required for.

Note: No payment will be required 'up front', as skip licences are invoiced quarterly. You will need to provide the full invoice address and email address.

A skip licence is £30 and valid for 28 days. If a licence is needed for more than 28 days, a new application is required before the original licence expires.

Please note: Skip licences for 'A roads' are only valid for 14 days as of 1st January 2017. This is to help ease congestion on Calderdale's roads.

Skip Operator Licences

To start a skip operator business you must comply with all relevant legislation by having the certificates and licences needed. These include:

  • a Waste Carrier's Licence;
  • and Public Liability Insurance.

For more on Waste Carrier's licences, visit: Register or renew as a waste carrier or broker .

To apply for an operating permit, skip operators should contact: Licensing enquiries . For more on this, visit: Legislation on control of skips .

See also