Alcohol and entertainment licences

Under the Licensing Act 2003, licensable activities must be covered by either; a premises licence, club premises certificate or temporary event notice. Where the sale of alcohol takes place in premises (excluding club premises benefiting from a club premises certificate) there has to be a designated premises supervisor who holds a personal licence under the Act.

Licensable activities are defined as follows:

  • Sale of alcohol
  • Plays
  • Films
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • Live music
  • Recorded music
  • Performances of dance
  • Entertainment of a similar description to live music, recorded music and performances of dance
  • Provision of facilities for making music
  • Provision of facilities for dancing
  • Entertainment of a similar description to making music and dancing
  • Provision of late night refreshment: If you have a takeaway, which offers hot food or drink for consumption on or off the premises between 11pm, and 5am the following morning, you will require a premises licence under the new Act.

You can read the Council's current policy below;

If you are unsure whether your premises needs a licence under the Licensing Act 2003, require further information or wish to apply for a licence contact:

  • Username Licensing
  • Email
  • Telephone 01422 393001 / 393002 / 393131
  • Address
    The Licensing Unit
    Calderdale MBC
    Town Hall
    HX1 1UJ