Council property register

Calderdale map showing major towns and motorways

The Council property register, also called ‘Land Terrier’, is a record of all land and property the Council owns.

Most are shown on: Council assets.

If it is not owned by the Council, you can find out who owns it by contacting the: Land Registry .

I want to buy / rent a Council property

If you are interesting in buying or renting Council owned land or building, contact the

  • Username Estates Manager
  • Email
  • Telephone 01422 392129
  • Address
    Corporate Asset and Facilities Management
    Town Hall
    HX1 1TP

You will need to include information:

  • the land or building you are interested in;
  • contact details, including telephone number and email address;
  • a description of what you intend to use the property for;
  • a simple sketch and drawing / plan showing measurements, if possible.

We will send you a letter, acknowledging receipt of your application. You will also receive a blank Ordnance Survey plan for you to mark the area on and return. If you have sent us a clear sketch or drawing with your application, you will not need the map.

What happens next

  • We will write to you to explain what you need to do to progress your enquiry.
  • We will check if the Council does not need the property. We will contact local ward Councillors for comments relating to your proposal.
  • If it is surplus, then enquiries may be required:
    • Legal services:title to the land;
    • Engineering services: any highway implications;
    • Planning services: potential and proposed use of the property

These can take some time, but are required before your application progresses. You are strongly advised to undertake your own detailed consultations regarding your specific proposals.

Land and property available

We advertise any surplus land or buildings for sale on the open market. Disposals also take place through public auctions. All land and property currently available to buy or let is advertised on the website: Land and property availability .

You should obtain an independent valuation and / or appropriate advice when deciding how much to offer.

In addition to the purchase price, you will be responsible for paying the Council's legal and surveyors costs. These are worked out on a sliding scale linked to the value of the property.

Mailing list

To be placed on the Council's mailing list for future sales or rentals, contact: 

  • Username Corporate Asset and Facilities Management Team
  • Email
  • Telephone 01422 392004
  • Address
    Third Floor
    Princess Buildings
    HX1 1TP
If you are interested in taking a greater role in the management of a Council owned building or land. Or you would like to make a request for Community Asset Transfer, see: Community management of assets .

See also