The main legislation covering health and safety in workplaces is the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the regulations made under the Act.
A summary of the requirements are included in free leaflets available from Health and Safety Executive Books . Leaflets are available for many health and safety topic areas providing information what the law requires as well as useful guidance.
- An introduction to health and safety in small businesses;
- Accidents and emergencies – including first aid and accident reporting;
- Electrical safety;
- Hazardous substances, fire & explosion – including Asbestos, COSHH (Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health) and gas;
- Personal and personnel issues at work – including stress, violence and musculoskeletal disorders;
- Plants, animals and zoonoses (diseases that are transferable from animals to humans);
- Transport, machine safety and new technology;
- Working Environment – including slips, trips, falls from height, noise and temperature.
A copy of the Act can be downloaded from the Health and Safety Executive website: Health and Safety at Work Act .
Copies of the regulations can be purchased from the: Office of Public Sector Information .