Calderdale Council's Environmental Health Officers:
- carry out workplace inspections;
- investigate accidents and complaints regarding workplace health, safety and welfare;
- enforce the health and safety at work legislation in retailers, wholesalers, offices, catering premises, leisure services and consumer services;
- enforce smoke free legislation in public places (see: Smokefree workplaces and public spaces );
- offer advice to businesses and the public regarding the requirements of the health and safety legislation and good practice. We provide advice over the telephone, during visits to workplaces and in the form of free leaflets.
The Health and Safety Executive do a similar service in manufacturing, health, construction, agriculture and education sectors and where work is carried out in domestic premises.
Calderdale Council works in partnership with the Health and Safety Executive with the aim of reducing work-related accidents and ill-health.