Demolition of buildings

If you are considering the demolition of a building, you must inform Calderdale Building Control Services. We are empowered to control demolition under the Building Act 1984 to help preserve public safety and protect the environment.

An application for demolition should be made to us at least six weeks before the demolition will take place. You may also need to notify Planning and gain their agreement before demolishing an existing building.

To advise us about your intended demolition, complete the form: PDFNotification of demolition of buildings [PDF 46KB] and return to: Building control services .

Note: some minor demolition works may not need notification, these include:

  • Where the volume of the building is less than fifty cubic metres;
  • Where a demolition order has been made under the Housing Act 1957;
  • For parts of an occupied building (but Building Regulations will apply);
  • Agricultural buildings located a distance of one and half times their height from a dwelling.

See also