Building FAQs

What building work should comply with Building Regulations?

The following types of project amount to 'Building Work' as defined in Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations:

  • the erection or extension of a building;
  • the installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations;
  • an alteration project involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings;
  • the insertion of insulation into a cavity wall;
  • the underpinning of the foundations of a building.

If you are planning to carry out such work, then it should comply with the Building Regulations.

The works themselves should meet the relevant technical requirements in the Building Regulations and they should not make other fabric, services and fittings less compliant than they previously were - or dangerous. For example, if you replace external windows or doors, the building should comply to at least the same degree as it did before or, where it exceeded the standards, not be reduced below the standards in relation to:

  • means of escape from fire;
  • air supply for combustion appliances and their flues.

Also, in this example, the replacement window / door should also fully satisfy the requirements for energy conservation and ventilation for health

The Building Regulations may also apply to certain changes of use of an existing building. This is because the change of use may result in the building as a whole no longer complying with the requirements which will apply to its new type of use, and so having to be upgraded to meet additional requirements specified in the regulations for which building work may also be required.

Does the approval of plans allow my neighbour or me to build on the boundary or on each others property?

No. Calderdale Building Control Services are not responsible for establishing boundaries between properties.

If your neighbour builds on or over your boundary, we suggest that you discuss the matter with them.

If you are not able to resolve the situation, we suggest you take legal advice and / or speak to Building Control Services.

Which building control surveyor covers my area?

Do my neighbours have the right to object to my plans under Building Regulations?

No. Under Building Regulations, adjoining owners generally have no rights for objection to your building works.

However, your neighbours can object to your building works on Planning grounds .

Does Building Regulation Approval mean that my building work is insured?

No, Building Regulations Approval does not mean that your building work is insured. You should speak to either Building Control or your insurance company for more information.

Does my proposed building work require Building Regulations Approval?

To find out if your proposed work needs building regulations approval, please contact Building Control Services to discuss your individual case.

How do I get permission to demolish a building?

If you are considering the demolition of a building, you must inform Calderdale Building Control Services.

How do I make an application for Building Regulations approval?

How much do I have to pay for Building Regulations approval or Building Control services?

Charges are based on the type and value of the work involved.

Refer to our guidance notes on charges.

I have applied for Building Regulations Approval, when will someone come to inspect my site?

Following the submission and approval / acceptance of your application, inspection of the progressing work on site will be carried out following sufficient notice to the local authority at the specific statutory stages (or at other intervals should further advice or assistance be required).

Building Control must be notified of the following statutory stages of construction so that an inspection can be carried out:

  • commencement of work;
  • foundation excavations;
  • foundations concrete;
  • damp proof course;
  • oversite preparation;
  • drainage;
  • completion of work.

A completion certificate will be issued once Building Control are satisfied that the works meet with Building Regulations.

For further information about the availability of surveyors or the inspection schedule, contact:


What are Building Regulations?

Building Regulations are legal requirements aimed at achieving adequate standards for the construction of domestic, commercial and industrial buildings.

Building Regulations have three purposes:

  1. To ensure the health and safety of people in and around buildings;
  2. The conservation of energy;
  3. Access and facilities for disabled people.

If you would like to find out more about building regulations please contact Building Control Services:

Why do I need to comply with Building Regulations?

It is important to understand how the building regulatory system applies to your situation. You are responsible for making sure that the work complies with the regulations if you are carrying out building work personally.

If you are employing a builder, the responsibility will usually be theirs - but you should confirm this at the very beginning. You should also bear in mind that if you are the owner of the building, it is ultimately you who may be served with an enforcement notice if the work does not comply with the regulations.

Remember - complying with Building Regulations is a separate matter from getting planning permission for your work.

What building work is exempt from Building Regulations?

There are a number of classes of new buildings or extensions of existing buildings that do not need Building Regulations approval - subject to certain criteria on size, construction and position relative to boundaries being met. The following are examples of such buildings and extensions. Please note that they may require planning permission.

  • garden sheds;
  • summer-houses;
  • domestic garages;
  • greenhouses;
  • conservatories;
  • porches;
  • covered way;
  • covered yards;
  • carports.

See also