Market halls are specially designed with permanent lock-up stalls open each day of the week to facilitate a permanent concourse of sellers from individual trading units. Traders then leave their goods ready for the following trading day.
They are generally open every day of the week and are treated in a different manner to those which are held on set days of the week. Charges for such stalls are usually levied on a weekly or even longer basis. Rental levels are determined globally at the commencement of the lease period and are usually revised every 5 years with an annual revision of service charge. A letting of this type will usually require to be evidenced by a formal document such as a licence, tenancy agreement or lease, all affording protection under the Landlord and Tenant Act.
Tenants in the market halls have the right of assignment of their leases, which allows them to sell their business interests. Most often, tenants wishing to dispose of their stall / business advertise directly in the local, regional and specialist press and interested parties approach the seller directly with reference to Markets Management once a successor has been found.
On rare occasions an empty stall unit reverts to the Council and such units are advertised to let by closed competitive tender, in the market halls, local press and on websites.
Halifax Borough Market Tenants Association
Traders in the Halifax Borough Market also have the support of a tenants association which:
- represents all tenants with negotiations on rent, service charge and rate reviews;
- ensures that members wishes and ideas are brought to the committee for full and frank consideration, and are acted upon;
- negotiates with the Borough Market management, opening times at holiday periods eg Christmas, New Year, Easter etc.;
- holds regular meetings with the market management to promote positive discussion in relation to ideas for improvement and maintaining sustainability of the Borough Market;
- promotes the market in general through the co-operation of the tenants and market management team;
- holds meetings and inform members of issues that may affect the effective operation of both the Borough Market and individual business.
Market stalls to let
Calderdale Markets have stalls / units throughout Calderdale of different sizes and uses.
The following units are available to let:
Borough Market, Halifax
- Stall 12 Halifax Borough market [PDF 1140KB]
- Stall 13 & 14 Borough market [PDF 1140KB]
- Stall 44 Borough market [PDF 819KB]
- Stall 37 Borough market [PDF 1154KB]
- Stall 59 & 60 Borough market [PDF 1237KB]
- Stall 110 & 111 Borough market [PDF 1034KB]
- Stall 116 Borough market [PDF 1251KB]
Market Hall, Todmorden