Gateway to Care

Contact Gateway to Care - Adults, Health and Social Care in Calderdale

Gateway to Care provides one number to call for all your social care needs and some health concerns.

Opening hours
Monday to Thursday8.45 am to 5.30 pm
Friday8.45 am to 5.00 pm

Access to services for older people, people with physical and sensory disabilities and their carers

Gateway to Care - a specialist team of friendly and experienced Social Care Advisors, Clinical Advisors and Social Workers - are here to offer you advice with your social care needs. Simply call them on 01422 393000. For example, you may need information about community alarms, frozen meals, bus passes for disabled people, home adaptations, support when you come out of hospital, practical advice on staying independent in your own home and what to do to avoid unnecessary stays in hospital. The Gateway to Care Team can also put you in touch with various services if you need other specialist support.

Here are links to two short videos:

 Video: Home Adaptations|External link 

 Video: Handy Person Service|External link

which explain how simple adaptations can make your life easier and help you to remain independent in your own home

You are entitled to a full assessment of your needs (whether for yourself or as a carer), in which case you will be referred to the specialist Social Work Teams who will help you to complete a Community Care Assessment.

Here is a link to a short video Video: Assessing your needs which explains how the Community Care Assessment is used to consider your needs.

Staff in these teams can give advice and support to older people and people with physical and sensory disabilities to enable them to live as independently as possible in their own homes or in suitable residential settings in the community.

Support is also available if you are providing care for someone who is dependent on you.

There is a charging system in place which will be explained fully to you and your carers. You will be given information about the Council's Complaints and Compliments service.

Access to health services

Gateway to Care staff will be pleased to give you advice about staying independent, mobile and confident after an accident, illness, injury or deterioration in a health condition.

Hospital Social Work Team

After a stay in hospital you may need support to continue living independently at home. If requested, a social worker from Adults, Health and Social Care can look into what help you need and work with you to arrange the services that you may require.

You can either contact Gateway to Care before you go into hospital or you can ask to see a social worker during your stay in hospital.

Access to services for people with mental health problems

Community Mental Health Teams

North Halifax
South Halifax

Access to services for people who have a learning disability

Community Learning Disability Teams

Last Updated: 23/09/2016