Visual impairment

Being independent

The Rehabilitation Team offers practical advice and a range of training programmes in various life skills. Each programme can be specially tailored to meet your individual needs.

Equipment for daily living

The Rehabilitation Team will be pleased to advise you about the wide variety of equipment available, e.g. liquid level indicators, talking weighing scales, writing guides, white canes, etc. We currently issue a small amount of equipment if found to be appropriate, following assessment.

Low vision equipment

The Team can give you information about new technology, such as closed circuit televisions that can enlarge print, etc.

The NHS has a Low Vision Aid Service which can assess and provide appropriate magnifying glasses and other equipment to suit your individual needs. Your Ophthalmic Consultant would refer you for this service.

Resource centre

Adults, Health and Social Care has a small resource centre at Glenholme, Green Lane, West Vale, Halifax. The centre is for people who are visually impaired and/or hearing impaired. Rehabilitation Officers will be available to demonstrate a range of specialist equipment and they can arrange for you to try these out. If you wish, the Rehabilitation Team can help you to order any of the items available.

Drop in days

Drop in days are held at the Resource Centre on the first Tuesday of every month from 10am to 4pm. For further information you can contact the Visual Impairment Team on 01422 363561.


Registered severely sight impaired (blind) people are entitled to parking badges for use in cars in which they travel, and to concessionary bus passes. Bus passes are also available for a companion if you need someone to travel with you. For further information see:

TV licences

Registered severely sight impaired (blind) people are eligible for a half price TV licence. People over 75 get a free TV licence.

Radios, cassette and CD players

Calderdale's Adults, Health and Social Care acts as an agent for British Wireless for the Blind Fund and can provide people who are registered sight impaired or severely sight impaired with specialist radios and radio-CD players. These are provided on loan following assessment.

Talking books

Calderdale's public libraries have books recorded onto standard audiocassettes and CDs.

A more extensive talking book library is provided by the RNIB. Their books are recorded onto DAISY formatted CD. Special machines, that are supplied to members, are needed to play these CDs.

There is a charge for membership of this library but, following an assessment, we may be able to contribute towards your subscription. Individuals can apply directly to the RNIB if they wish to fund themselves.

Books on standard audiocassettes, mp3 discs and memory sticks are also available from CALIBRE. They make no charge but do ask for donations. Books can be exchanged through their free postal system.

Talking newspapers

Local Talking Newspapers are organised by volunteers and are available each week on a memory stick. The Halifax Courier can loan a 'Boom Box' free of charge, that is able to play the recording on the memory stick. They present, in spoken form, news items and articles of interest carried by the local newspaper. Talking Newspapers is a free service. Our Rehabilitation Officers can supply you with details.

The Talking Newspaper Association of the United Kingdom (TNAUK) records national newspapers and magazines onto CD or download from the web.

Directory enquiries

People who are unable to access a telephone because of their visual impairment can apply for the free directory enquiry service. Telephone 195 to apply or contact the Visual Impairment Team on 01422 363561, if verification of a visual impairment is required.

Adults, Health and Social Care information

Adults, Health and Social Care information is usually available, on request, on audio cassette, in large print, in Braille, on personal computer disk and in ethnic languages.

Last Updated: 14/11/2016