Paying bills


If you are moving into your own home you will get bills for things like rent, gas, electricity, water, council tax and TV licence. A bill tells you how much you need to pay for the services you use.

Gas and Electricity Bills

You need gas and electricity to run your appliances and heat your home. When you move into a new house or flat you need to phone the gas and electricity companies to tell them that you are living there. This means they can send you a bill with your name on it so you know how much you need to pay.

Gas and electricity is measured in units. The more units you use, the more you will need to pay.

You can pay for your gas and electricity by Direct Debit, at the bank or post office or using a card meter.

Paying by Direct Debit means that the company will take the money you owe them straight from your bank account each month. The company will decide how much you pay by working out how many units of gas and electricity you are likely to use in a month.

If you choose to pay your gas and electricity bills at the bank or post office then you will get a bill every three months. You take it to the bank or post office and give the bill and enough money to pay for it to the person behind the counter. You can pay by cheque or cash. They will stamp your bill to show you have paid and give it back to you.

If you have a gas or electricity meter that works with a card you will use this to pay for your bills. You can top up your gas or electricity card at any shop where you see this Pay Point sign:

Pay Point logo

You need to give your card and the money you want to spend to the person behind the counter. They will add the number of units your money can buy.

Then you take the card home and put it into the meter. The meter will tell you how many units are left. You need to top the card up before you run out of units or the gas or electricity will go off.

Water Bill

Everyone in Calderdale has the same water company. You will get a water bill once a year. You can pay it all at once or half now and half in six months time.

Some homes have a water meter that tells you how much water you have used. If you live on your own you might save money by having a water meter. It means that you will only pay for what you use. You can ask your water company to put a water meter in your house.

If your house doesn’t have a water meter you will pay the same as everyone else.

Council Tax

Everybody has to pay some money to their local council. It helps to pay for services like emptying bins and running schools or day services.

You will get a letter every year to tell you how much you have to pay.

You can pay your council tax all at once or a bit at a time using cheques or cash.

You can set up a Direct Debit or standing order so that the money comes out of your account each month.

If you do not earn very much money and you have less than £16,000 in savings you can get Council Tax Benefit. You will need to fill in a Council Tax form and send it back to us so we can tell you how much you need to pay.

TV Licence

If you have a television you will need a TV Licence.

You can buy your TV Licence Online.

If you don’t want to buy your TV Licence on the Internet you can get a form from your local post office which you will need to fill in.

You can pay for your TV Licence by:

  • Sending them a cheque for the full amount.
  • Setting up a Direct Debit so the money comes out of your bank account.
  • Asking for a TV Licence savings card so that you can pay a bit each month.

To pay with the TV Licence savings card you will need to take the card to any shop with a Pay Point sign and pay it using cash or your debit card.

The Community Learning Disability Team can help you if you have any questions.