Help with benefits

Lady collecting benefits at the post office

We can give you help and advice about claiming the benefits that you are entitled to.

Benefits may range from disability benefit and housing benefit to support with your income.

Everyone is different. What is right for another person may not be right for you. We can help you to understand what is available and what is right for you.

What type of help is available?

  • If you have a disability and need someone to help look after you then you may be able to claim GOV.UK: Personal Independence Payment.
  • If you are unable to work because a disability or illness then you could be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance. This replaces Incapacity Benefits for new claimants. If you already receive Incapacity Benefit, you will continue to receive it.
  • If you are in work but earn low pay you can apply for Working Tax Credit
  • If you do not have a job or you work less than 16 hours a week you can claim Income Support. You may also qualify for a Disability Premium which gives you some extra money so you can pay for the support you need.
  • If you are a student in higher education you may be able to claim Disabled Students Allowance to pay for the things you need to help you study, such as special computer software or a note-taker.

To find out more about what financial support is available for people with Learning Disabilities visit the Financial Support for people with disabilities Website

The Disabled Advice Resource Team (DART) can also help with advice for people with disabilities and their families on the benefits available. To find out more, you can visit their website Disabled Advice Resource Team (DART), call them on 01422 346040 or 01422 346950, send them a fax on 01422 322338; email or visit them in person at 10 Harrison Road, Halifax, HX1 2AF (please phone in advance for opening days and hours).