Leaving care - Information and support for our young people leaving care
Prospects Services, Calderdale's Pathway team, works with young people from Calderdale aged 16 and over who are looked after. Also those that have left care up to the age of 21. We continue to work with young people up to age 25, if they are in further or higher education.
Our corporate parent and grandparent pledge to you: Care Leavers pledge
If you are leaving care we will provide different services, information and support including advice to help you make the right choices and decisions through your transition to adulthood. A Pathway Advisor will work with you to write a pathway plan, which will look at things like accommodation, budgeting, health and education, training and employment.
Your service is based at Customer First, 19 Horton Street, Halifax HX1 1QE
You can call us on Telephone 01422 394099 and find us on Facebook: Calderdale Pathway Service
Your upcoming events
23rd August 2017 - Our young peoples annual ‘celebration event’ so save the date and check back here for more details soon.
Your guide to leaving care
Take a look at your guide to leaving carePathway Leaving Care Information leafletthat includes information about:
- Who is a Care Leaver?
- Social Workers and Personal Advisors
- Pathway Planning
- Care Leaver Entitlements
- Setting Up Home Allowance
- Somewhere to Live
- Further Education
- Employment and Training
- Support and somewhere to meet
- Financial Advice
- Care Leavers Pledge
- Children's Rights and Advocacy Service
- Useful Contacts
- Compliments, Complaints and Suggestions
- Legislation, Guidance, Regulations
Prospects Services have also developed a mobile phone app for you called ‘Wotify Calderdale’. This has been designed with young people leaving care to help answer the questions that young people need answers to as they move towards independence.
The App has almost 100 “Wotify” questions for example “Wotify I need to get a job?” to “Wotify get evicted?” and covers everything from housing, work, health to transport, money and relationships, giving short answers to “Wotify” questions and then linking you to useful sites for more information. You can also submit your own “Wotify” questions to be added to the range. The app is free simply search the Apple Store, Google Play or Windows store for “Wotify Calderdale”
Have your say
Upwards n Onwards (UnO), is a group created by our young people for our young people. It is there to enable you to ‘have your say’ about the services we provide. The purpose is to help make the right changes, meet other young people and have a space to relax. The group meets once every two weeks on Wednesday evenings, 6pm-8pm at Youth Works, in the Orange Box
For more information contact: Claire Haymonds, Pathways Leaving Care Service, Development and improvement Co-Ordinator by phone: 01422 394099 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Transition means change and we know this can be a very difficult time for our young people, so in Calderdale lots of different services have been working together to make it better and easier for you. An important part of this is writing and agreeing the ‘Transition Protocol’ for Calderdale that is agreed by Councillors and Senior Managers of the services that support you. Here is your guide ‘Transition from a Young Person to an Adult’Transition from a Young Person to an Adult
Positive choices - providing support during pregnancy and early years
- We will support you to make well informed choices about parenthood providing accurate information and time to explore how you feel so that you can make the decision that is right for you.
- Early support about sex and relationships so you have full understanding of family planning.
- Ensure you make choices based on open and honest support.
- Help you be a successful parent now and in the future.
- Support you to make the best choices to start a family and be a parent.
Contact details for the Positive Choices Team:
Telephone: 01422 392622 or 01422 392681
Website: Positive Choices
Important changes for young people leaving care
Keep on Caring – Supporting Young People from Care to Independence. The strategy sets out the government’s plans and ambitions to improve the way in which support is provided to young people leaving care and encompass legislative changes and innovation. Care Leaver strategy
We recently met with our young people and other professionals about Keep on Caring in Calderdale. Our full report is coming soon!
Other useful contacts and links
- Customer FirstEmail:email@example.comTel: 01422 288001
- Out of Hours Service emergencies only Tel: 01422 288000
- Housing: Tel: 01422 264300
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Shelter Tel: 03445 152315
- Children’s Rights and Advocacy - Our young people leaving care (age up to 25 years) can contact the Children’s Rights Service for support. Email: CRAAdmin@calderdale.gov.uk, Telephone:01422 288251, Text:07712 305060 / 07872 100923, Address: The Children’s Rights Service, 3rd Floor, Hoover Building, 21 West Parade, Halifax HX1 2TE.
- National Care Advisory Service Email:firstname.lastname@example.orgTel: 020 7336 4824
- Care Leavers Association Tel: 0161 637 5040. Email:email@example.com
- Children’s’ Commissioner – Care Leaver Rights