Care Act 2014

Care Act Support for Carers

a cartoon countryside image with trees and grass


Care and support in England is changing for the better and the Care Act is helping to make care and support more consistent across the country.

'Care and support' is the term which describes the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with friends and family.

If you support someone as a carer, you could benefit from the changes.

Supporting you in caring

In England, millions of us provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in our own homes or somewhere else. 

‘Caring’ for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious. 

If this sounds like you, changes to the way care and support is provided in England mean you may be able to get more help so that you can carry on caring and look after your own wellbeing.

The right help at the right time

You may be eligible for support, such as a direct payment* to spend on the things that make caring easier; or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. 

You may prefer just to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to. 

The Council of the person you care for can help you find the right support and you can ask them for a carer’s assessment.

Considering your options

A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways that caring affects your life. It will work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment. 

As a result of the assessment, you may be eligible for support. The council will also offer you advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities and help you look after your own wellbeing. 

You can have a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not get any help from the council, and they will not need to be assessed.

To request a carer’s assessment,  please speak to our Gateway to Care Team on 01422 393000

Information and Advice

All carers are entitled to information and advice whether they are eligible for services or not. 

Local organisations that can provide this include:

Calderdale Carers, Rimani House, Hall Street, Halifax, HX1 5BD Tel. 01422 369101 or email 

Making Space (for carers of people with mental health needs) Tel. 07815 493 370 or email 

Alzheimer's Society, 4th Floor, 39-41 Commercial St, Halifax, HX1 1BE Tel. 01422 352789 or email c&

Passport to Leisure Scheme

If one of the following categories applies to you, you can get a Passport to Leisure card which entitles you to discounts on sports and leisure facilities, theatres and museums in Calderdale and surrounding areas:

If the person you care for gets one of the following benefits, they can get a Passport to Leisure card with an orange dot which entitles their carer to go with them free of charge at certain venues:

Council Tax - Carer’s Discount

Council Tax is based on a 50% property element and a 50% personal element which assumes that two adults live in the property. If only one adult lives there a 25% single occupier discount applies. Some other people are disregarded for council tax purposes, such as carers where the following criteria are met:

People who are ‘severely mentally impaired’ or have had their house adapted for their disability may also be entitled to a status discount.

So a household with two or more resident adults may still qualify for a discount providing that all of them (or all but one of them) meet the criteria. If there are two or more residents in the property aged 18 or over who are not entitled to a status discount then no discount can be allowed.

For more information please contact the Council Tax Discount Section on 01422 393631 or visit Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

Carers Allowance

You may be entitled to claim Carers Allowance if you meet the following criteria:

  • you are 16 or over
  • you care for someone for at least 35 hours per week
  • the person you care for gets middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance
  • if you work, you don’t earn more than £110 per week after tax, care costs when working and 50% of your pension contribution
  • you’re not in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours per week
  • you are not claiming certain benefits eg Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, State Pension but you may get a Carers Premium added to these benefits if you meet the criteria for Carers Allowance.

For more details or to make a claim contact: 0345 608 4321 or visit GOV.UK Carer's Allowance


*Direct Payment

This is the money the Council contributes towards meeting support needs is paid directly to you, for example into your bank account or the bank account of someone else you choose, to give you control over how it is spent.

If you would like any additional information, please speak to our Gateway to Care Team on 01422 393000 who will be happy to help

a cartoon countryside image with trees and grass and birds

Last Updated: 04/05/2016