Care Act 2014

Care Act Children's Transition to Adults' Social Care

a cartoon countryside image with trees and grass


Care and support in England is changing for the better and the Care Act is helping to make care and support more consistent across the country.

'Care and support' is the term which describes the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with friends and family.

If you have care and support needs, or you support someone as a carer, you could benefit from the changes.


What is transition?

‘Transition’ is the period of time when young people are moving from childhood into adulthood. Council services for adults are different from those for children, so it’s important that young adults get the services they need to live a full life. This is a very important stage in a young person’s life because they need to make plans for their future care arrangements which will help them live as independently as possible.

Help for young people

Although councils will already know about many of the young people affected by the changes in the Care Act, there will be other young adults who are not yet receiving any help.

These changes could benefit you if you are approaching adulthood and:

If you’re not sure whether you are eligible, just call Gateway to Care and we’ll talk it through with you. 

The right help at the right time

Good planning for your transition will help you to lead a more enjoyable and fulfilling adult life. The Care Act says that local councils must consider the wellbeing of every young person and young carer. To design the right care and support plan for you, we will carry out a transition assessment to find out just what help you will need as you approach adulthood.

We will assess you at a time that works for you. For example, we would not assess you when you are preparing for exams or coping with medical treatment.

Your transition assessment

Your assessment will be based on what you need, want and hope for as you begin your adult life. It will consider your wellbeing, including building a fulfilling social life and making a contribution to society, as well as your basic living needs.

The transition assessment may not always result in services, but whatever happens, we will give you good advice and a plan for meeting your identified needs.

Meeting your identified needs

Your assessment will tell us what your needs are. Then, we will work with you and perhaps your family, carer or someone who knows you well to build a transition plan. We will consider your identified needs and look at the help and support available to you, including your friends, local community services and specialist help if you need it. And because you and your needs will change over time, your support plan will change too, perhaps because you develop new interests, move away from home or go to college. If it does not result in services, the council will write to you and explain why it has made this decision. If this happens, the council must also provide information and advice explaining other support that may be provided by other organisations such as the voluntary sector.

What does care and support cost?

There are charges for some of the services we provide. However, no-one has to pay more than they can afford, and, you will need to budget and live within your means. As well as help with budgeting, we will also offer you advice on getting all the benefits due to you.

If you would like any additional information, please speak to our Gateway to Care Team on 01422 393000 who will be happy to help.


a cartoon countryside image with trees and grass and birds

Last Updated: 04/05/2016