How are we doing in Calderdale?
In the year 2012 / 2013 Calderdale Council were amongst the top 10 recycling authorities in England and led the way in the Yorkshire and Humber region with 61% recycling - Thank you.
However, we still spent an estimated £500,000 on waste that could have been recycled by putting it into the recycling containers that we provide. So please recycle all that you can.
What's in your bin?
The average wheelie bin in Calderdale contains 13.5 kilograms of waste on collection day. As data shows, a large proportion of this waste could be recycled via the recycling service offered to residents on a weekly basis, so please ensure you recycle all you can!
|Waste category||Proportion of bin|
|Paper / card||19.87%|
|Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)||1.13%|
Waste facts and figures
- Calderdale residents produce around 76,500 tonnes of waste each year.
- In 2012 / 2013 we recycled around 61% of this waste; 46,500 tonnes.
- 16,000 tonnes is recycled via the Kerbside recycling collection service.
- A further 15,000 tonnes is recycled at Household Waste Recycling Centres and Recycling banks at various locations across the borough.
- An additional 15,500 tonnes of recycling is recovered from the residual waste at a Materials Recycling Facility.
- In an average year, SITA (the Council’s waste collection contractor) make over 7.25 million visits to properties within the Authority.
Yorkshire and Humberside Recycling Table
The table shows that Calderdale leads the way in recycling performance in Yorkshire and the Humber. A big thank you to you all for helping the authority achieve this.
|Authority||Household waste recycling rate|
|East Riding of Yorkshire Council||53.91%|
|Ryedale District Council||51.97%|
|Bradford City MDC (MBC)||51.85%|
|Kingston-upon-Hull City Council||48.54%|
|York City Council||45.96%|
|North Yorkshire County Council||45.68%|
|Hambleton District Council||45.24%|
|North Lincolnshire Council||43.93%|
|Craven District Council||43.38%|
|Selby District Council||43.27%|
|Richmondshire District Council||41.61%|
|Scarborough Borough Council||40.89%|
|Leeds City Council MBC||40.28%|
|Wakefield City MDC||39.54%|
|Harrogate Borough Council||34.60%|
|North East Lincolnshire Council||32.43%|
|Sheffield City Council||27.72%|
(Source: Wastedataflow, October 2013)