A to Z of waste and recycling


You can search the A to Z by choosing a letter.


All cans (steel and aluminium) can be recycled through your weekly kerbside collection service. Cans should now be placed in your white sack with plastic containers and bottles. They can also be deposited in the receptacles at the Household Waste Recycling Centres or some of the Recycling banks at the mini recycling sites throughout the Borough.


Thin cardboard such as cereal boxes can be placed in your green bag and recycled through your weekly collection service. Larger corrugated cardboard boxes should be flattened and deposited in the cardboard skips at the Household Waste Recycling Centres.


These can be re-used as designs for gift tags, or placed in either your kerbside green bag every week or at the Recycling banks or Household Waste Recycling Centres. However, please ensure that cards with foil or glitter are not placed in the receptacle as this type of material contaminates the recycling process.


If you have a homemade compost heap, pieces of carpet are ideal as insulating material to place on the top of the heap to keep the heat in. Alternatively, they can be sold or given to charity shops.

Rugs can be given to CHAS Bradford|External link.

As a last resort unwanted carpets should be disposed of at the Household Waste Recycling Centres in the general waste skips.

Carrier bagsCarrier bags

Are accepted at most of the large supermarkets, however, you should consider reusing your carrier bags or buying a "Bag for Life".


If the car is beyond repair then it should be taken to any local scrap metal merchant for disposal.  Please note that following the introduction of The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, scrap metal merchants have to ask anyone wanting to dispose of their scrap metal, for proof of name and address, and can no longer pay cash for items, it is usually done via bank payment or cheque. 

Cartons (Tetra Pak)Cartons (Tetra Pak)

From 1st August 2016 cartons (also known as Tetra Pak) will be included in the existing kerbside collection scheme. Simply place your rinsed cartons in your green sack with your paper and thin card and put it out by 7am on your collection day. There are also 4 sites in Calderdale where you can take your Tetra Pak packaging for recycling.

Tetra Pak comes in all shapes and sizes but is best described as cardboard with a waxy / smooth surface. The Tetra Pak packages usually carry liquids like milk, soft drinks, soups, flavoured ices and ice creams.

Sites that also accept Tetra Pak packaging for recycling are:

Christmas treesChristmas trees

Christmas trees will be accepted in the green waste skips at any of the 5 Household Waste Recycling Centres. Ensure that all decorations are removed before depositing in the skip.

There is also a temporary collection point at Ogden Water Visitor Centre, Ogden Lane, Causeway Foot, Halifax, HX2 8XZ.

Artificial trees should either be given to charity shops or deposited in the general waste skips at our recycling centres.

Clinical wasteClinical waste

Clinical waste can include things like soiled dressings, incontinence pads, pharmaceutical products, needles and sharps boxes (burn bins).

Under no circumstances should sharps bins and needles (used, unused, packaged or loose) which are no longer required be discarded at the Council's Household Waste Recycling Sites or put into your domestic waste bin or bag.

To dispose of sharps, you can:

  • return sharps bins issued by a hospital to
    • the hospital clinic / ward (always use this option for purple-lidded sharps bins)
    • the central or commercial pharmacies within the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary or Calderdale Royal Hospital during their opening hours.
  • return sharps bins given to you by your Doctor to your Doctor's surgery.

Alternatively, you can contact the Council to arrange a free collection of clinical waste from your home:


Clean clothes and textiles including blankets, curtains, bedding and paired shoes can be placed in a carrier bag and put out for kerbside collections weekly.

Household Waste Recycling Centres also have banks for textiles and shoes. Some of the Recycling banks also have textile banks. Please make sure the textiles are clean and dry.

Most charity shops will accept old clean clothes. 

Compact discsCompact discs

Charity shops will accept these to be resold in their shops, alternatively why not organise a swap-shop type event amongst family and friends.

If a compact disc (CD) is not functioning they can be used as coasters or make interesting mobiles and can make very effective bird scaring devices if you want to protect some growing seeds in your garden.  There are many on-line companies that offer a CD recycling service, please check on-line.


Calderdale Council offers compost bins, please telephone the order line: 0845 130 6090, or see GetComposting|External link for more information about composting at home.


Contact DOT-COMmunications IT Recycling Service|External link, who are a Calderdale not-for-profit organisation and can accept donations of computer equipment, which is then refurbished or recycled for use by other not-for-profit and community organisations. Tel: 01422 845003.

Computers can also be taken to any of the 5 Household Waste Recycling Centres in Calderdale.


Deposit them in the electronic equipment skip at any of the Council's five Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Alternatively they can be donated to CHAS Bradford|External link, who will collect them free of charge.

Cooking oilCooking oil

How can I dispose of cooking oil and fat?

From 1st August 2016, cooking oils and fats can be taken to any of the Council's household waste recycling centres and put in the cooking oil container to be recycled .


Last Updated: 29/07/2016