A to Z of waste and recycling


You can search the A to Z by choosing a letter.


Car batteries can be taken to local Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Single cell household batteries e.g. AA or AAA can be taken to collection points at any retailers where batteries are sold.

For more information on battery recycling visit Recycle now: Battery recycling|External link


You can pass your unwanted bicycle to friends, relatives or neighbours to be re-used, alternatively cyclerecycle will take any bikes, parts and accessories (except for helmets) as long as they are in a reasonable condition. You can drop bikes off by appointment - but you must ring first on 01422 842 121 (Unit 7 Victoria Works, Victoria Road, Hebden Bridge HX7 8LN).

For more information visit .


These can be taken to any charity shop for resale, alternatively, place them in the books / music banks at some of the Recycling banks and Household Waste Recycling Centres throughout the Borough.


Glass bottles and jars can be deposited in your recycling box and placed at the kerbside every week - please refer to your calendar or the Collection day finder.

For any missed collections or if you are uncertain of collection days contact Customer First on 01422 288002.

Washed and clean jam jars can be used as storage containers. Alternatively, glass bottles can be deposited at most Recycling banks and Household Waste Recycling Centres in the glass banks. 

For plastic bottles please refer to Plastic.


Bric-a-brac items are usually accepted at most charity stores to be resold in their shops.

Bric-a-brac can also be taken to any of Calderdale's five Household Waste Recycling Centres


Bricks and rubble can be taken to any of the 5 Household Waste Recycling Centres and deposited in the skips marked Bricks and Rubble.

Note: 6 standard sized builders bags only – 20kg maximum capacity.

Bulky refuseBulky refuse

Calderdale Council can arrange to collect and dispose of bulky household waste from your property for a standard charge. Bulky household waste consists of free standing furniture or electrical appliances. There is an additional charge for the collection and disposal of fridges, freezers and fridge freezer units. You can apply online for this service:

Request bulky household item outdoor collection

Additionally free estimates are given for the removal and disposal of builders and DIY waste, large quantities of garden waste together with fixtures and fittings from your property.

To arrange a collection telephone Customer First 01422 288002. Credit / debit card details taken by way of payment, cash or cheques by post or in person.


  • CHAS Bradford|External link collect cookers, domestic appliances, electrical goods and fridges / freezers free of charge.
  • Freecycle|External link is an excellent way to pass your unwanted items to others.
  • Pass It On (part of The National Children's Centre) is a local charity that collects furniture for people on low incomes.
    They will collect all items apart from those that do not meet legal requirements (e.g. fire retardants), items that are not in a re-useable condition, gas appliances and items that may be too heavy to move (e.g. pianos). For more information call 01484 537519 or 08456 341360.
  • Project Colt collect unwanted furniture and are based in Elland call 01422 377176 for more information about their services.

Last Updated: 28/04/2016