Trees and hedges

Requesting a Tree Preservation Order

Anyone can ask for a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) to be made. If you feel that certain trees or woodland merit such protection, you can obtain further advice by contacting Planning Services. TPO's are registered as Local Land Charges: your solicitor will tell you if such an order affects any property you intend to purchase.

Council consent

The Council's written consent is needed before any felling or pruning takes place. Approval from the Council is required for felling or pruning a tree subject to a TPO.


Applications (for which there is no charge) can be made in writing giving details of the nature of the work you wish to carry out and providing a location plan showing the approximate position of the tree or trees you wish to work on. 


There are some exceptions, for example when a tree is dead, dying or dangerous and action needs to be taken quickly for safety reasons. In these instances you can get further advice by contacting Planning Services.

It is an offence to work on a protected tree without such consent and if unauthorised work takes place, the Council can (and does) take legal action which can lead to fines of up to £20,000, or twice the value of each tree, whichever is the greater.

Tree Preservation Orders: A Guide to the Law and Good Practice|External link  is available from the Planning Portal.

Last Updated: 29/03/2016