Conservation areas

Controls in conservation areas

There are a number of special controls and requirements that apply to conservation areas in order to protect their character:

Consent is needed to demolish buildings and other structures. Generally this will be resisted unless it would improve the appearance of the conservation area.

New development must be well designed and the use of traditional natural materials will normally be required.

New buildings, extensions and alterations must preserve or enhance the appearance of the conservation area.

If you want to fell or lop a tree you must notify the Council six weeks before the work is due to take place. For more information contact Planning Services.

Planning applications are needed for some types of development which may not need permission outside Conservation Areas. These include:

To get full details and confirm if you need to apply for permission see Do I need planning permission?.

Last Updated: 11/11/2016