How to become a Councillor

How to become a Parish / Town Councillor

To become a parish / town councillor for your area you will have to stand as a candidate at the parish/town elections. These are usually held in May every 4 years. 


To qualify as a candidate for elections to a parish / town council a person must be at least 18 years old on the day of nomination and must be either

A prospective candidate must meet 1 of 4 qualifications:

There is a range of disqualifications which can prevent a person from standing as candidate at a parish/town election. Further details of such disqualifications are shown on the nomination forms.


Any person wishing to stand as a candidate will need to complete the following paperwork:

If you are a candidate for a registered political party you will also need to submit:

If you wish to receive a set of nomination papers then please contact the Electoral Services Unit on 01422 393103 and set of papers will be sent to you.

After the election you will be required to submit to the Returning Officer -

The return and declaration must be submitted within 28 days from the declaration of the result of poll. 

By law, the Returning Officer must make the return and declaration available for public inspection for a period of 2 years from the date of submission.


{{error}} loading

Sign up successful!

All that's left is for you to choose what news and updates are important to you.

{{gd_topics.length}} Available topics:
Save preferences ({{preferences}}) loading

Preferences updated

You've subscribed to {{preferences}} topics. Keep an eye on your inbox for tailored news and updates in Calderdale.

Got it!

Last Updated: 14/01/2016