Council, committee and cabinet meetings
Calderdale Council operates an executive decision taking structure. The operation of the structure is controlled by the Council's Constitution. Meetings are generally open to the public to attend except where personal or confidential matters are being discussed.
The Council is composed of 51 Councillors. They all meet together as the Council to decide the Council's overall policies and to set the budget and Council Tax each year. The Council appoints the Leader and members of the Cabinet and also the membership of the various Scrutiny Panels and Committees.
The Cabinet is composed of the Leader and six Councillors appointed by the Council. The Cabinet has overall responsibility for the services which the Council provides and operates within the overall policies and budget agreed by the Council. Recommendations on major items of policy and on the annual budget and capital programme are passed to the Council for consideration and approval.
The Cabinet Members are:-
- Tim Swift (Leader)
- Bob Metcalfe (Cabinet Member - Adults, Health & Social Care)
- Jane Scullion (Cabinet Member - Business Change and Customer Service)
- Megan Swift (Cabinet Member - Children and Young People's Services)
- Susan Mary Press (Cabinet Member - Neighbourhoods and Communities)
- Daniel Sutherland (Cabinet Member - Planning, Housing and Environment)
- Faisal Shoukat (Cabinet Member - Public Health and Inequalities)
- Barry Collins (Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member - Regeneration & Economic Development)
The Council has five Scrutiny Panels and each is composed of seven Councillors. In addition, the Schools and Children’s Services Scrutiny Panel also includes a number of co-opted members (non-councillors) representing the churches, parent governors and the education community. Scrutiny Panels support the work of the Cabinet and Council as a whole by looking into matters of local concern and making recommendations on policy, budget making and service delivery. Scrutiny Panels also monitor the Cabinet’s decisions and can call a decision in for consideration and further recommendation.