Housing benefit

Personal Independence Payment

From June 2013, Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged 16 to 64 will be replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Initially this will be for new PIP claims only.

From October 2013, reassessment to PIP will start for customers already receiving DLA where that award is coming up for renewal, young people turning 16 or where current DLA customers report a change in their condition.

The introduction of PIP is part of a wider reform of the welfare system. The new benefit will better reflect today’s understanding of disability which has changed significantly in the two decades since DLA was introduced.

PIP is to help towards some of the extra costs arising from health conditions or disability. It is based on how a person’s condition affects them, not the condition they have.

PIP is for people aged 16 to 64.

In the same way as DLA, customers can receive PIP whether they are in or out of work. The benefit is not means tested or taxed.


There are two components to PIP – Daily Living and Mobility Needs. Each component can be paid at a standard rate or an enhanced rate for those with the greatest needs.

Making a claim

Customers (or those supporting them) should phone the Department for Work and Pensions to make a claim for PIP.

This involves an identity check and some basic questions. Paper claims won't normally be used, and online claims should be available from spring 2014. Additional support, such as provision of alternative formats will be available.

For more information visit:

Where can you get help and support?

Cookie control

To give you the very best experience, this website sets cookies on your computer. If you continue without changing the settings on your browser, you consent to this.

Alternatively, you can find out how to change your cookie settings by visiting our Privacy policy

Always allow cookies Ignore
Copyright © Calderdale Council
Town Hall, Crossley Street, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1UJ
Privacy Policy : W3C Valid CSS : W3C Valid XHTML 1.0 :
Web Site Performance : Disclaimer and copyright

Last Updated: 08/04/2014