From Weaver to Web: Online visual archive of Calderdale History
Welcome to the online visual archive of Calderdale history, giving access to over 23,000 images, accompanied by supporting historical information.
The Calderdale area includes the towns of Halifax, Brighouse, Elland, Hebden Bridge, Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden.
From Weaver to Web provides access to a wide range of material which may be particularly useful to local and family historians interested in this area.
You will find photographs and postcards, maps, trade directories and handbills, among many other types of historical sources.
This photograph was amongst those taken of old halls and
homesteads from across the Parish of Halifax in 1937 by local photographer and antiquarian Hugh Percy Kendall.
This grade II listed building on Luddenden Lane, Luddenden Foot has a long and interesting history. Although it is widely believed to have been built in 1650 by the Midgley family of Midgley, this is not the case. Evidence exists that there has been a dwelling on this site since the 14th centuary. This evidence exists in the form of the Wakefield court rolls of the 14th centuary, which refer to the property as "Kirkschewe," "Kereshagh," and later "Kerkeschaugh," all of which mean "Church Copse." However, the identity of the church from which the property's name derives is not clear. We know that it could not possibly be the present day St. Mary's Church in Luddenden village as this had not yet been erected.
The present structure was built by James Murgatroyd, who later left the house to his son Thomas Murgatroyd, owner of East Riddlesden Hall near Bingley. It was Thomas who renovated much of the property and whose initials, along with those of his wife Anna Murgatroyd, can be seen engraved over the principal entrance. It is assumed that these renovations were completed around 1650, as this is the date that is engraved upon the archway leading to the courtyard.
Kershaw House boasts some rather distinctive features. The most apparrent one being a rather ornate Tudor rose stained glass window, which was added by Henry Murgatroyd in 1640. Perhaps less well known is the house's reportedly haunted priest hole, which is said to date from the time of the Civil War.
The property was converted for use as a pub and restaurant in the 1960s.
For further details please see the 1902 and 1928 editions of the "Transactions of the Halifax Antiquarian Society." Both publications are available to view at the Central Reference Library in Halifax.
- Letter from Richard Hodgson
- Admission ticket for the opening of the Halifax New Infirmary
- Hebden Bridge Civic Hall
- Campbell Gas Engine Company Roll of Honour
- Digging for Victory
- Unveiling of the 1914-18 War Memorial, Greetland Liberal Club
- Sowerby Lock -Up
- Community Catering in Calderdale
- What To Do About Gas
- Elland Urban District Charity Ball