From Weaver to Web: Online visual archive of Calderdale History
Welcome to the online visual archive of Calderdale history, giving access to over 23,000 images, accompanied by supporting historical information.
The Calderdale area includes the towns of Halifax, Brighouse, Elland, Hebden Bridge, Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden.
From Weaver to Web provides access to a wide range of material which may be particularly useful to local and family historians interested in this area.
You will find photographs and postcards, maps, trade directories and handbills, among many other types of historical sources.
Situated near Lumbutts, above Todmorden. Standing 1,300 feet (396.2 m) above sea level, and at a physical height of 120 feet (36.57 m), the first monument was 113 feet (34.44 m) high. Stoodley Pike was first erected in 1814 to commemorate the end of the Napoleonic Wars. Samuel Greenwood, Thomas Sutcliffe and Richard Ingham were granted permission to erect a monument to celebrate peace in Great Britain on 22nd September 1814 at the Golden Lion Inn, Stones.
The first monument collapsed in 1854 and was rebuilt by public subscription two years later. Some maintenance worked was carried out in 1889.
The second obelisk was designed by local architect John Green, and built by Lewis Crabtree at a cost of £750. £820 was originally raised by 203 subscribers. The restoration work in 1889 cost £160. The inner staircase has 39 steps.
Second obelisk still standing 2003 and is on the route of the Pennine Way. It is a Grade II Listed Building; the following is from Calderdale Council's description:
Monument. Originally erected 1815 to commemorate the surrender of Paris to the Allies after the Napoleonic Wars. Rebuilt, after collapse, to a new design by John Green (Portsmouth, Todmorden) in 1856 by public subscription. Restored 1889. Pitch faced stone piers, ashlar cornice carries octagonal gallery with heavy balustrade, 40' from the ground. This supports hammer-dressed stone obelisk which reaches a height of 120'. Single entrance set between stone piers has segmental arch with joggled voussoirs the keystone engraved with the Star of David. This leads into a spiral staircase leading to gallery. Over the entrance is engraved tablet which reads: ' A BEACON MONUMENT ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION COMMENCED IN 1814 TO COMMEMORATE THE SURRENDER OF PARIS TO THE ALLIES AND FINISHED AFTER THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO WHEN PEACE WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1815. BY A STRANGE COINCIDENCE THE PIKE FELL ON THE DAY THE RUSSIAN AMBASSADOR LEFT LONDON BEFORE THE DECLARATION OF WAR WITH RUSSIA IN 1854. WAS REBUILT WHEN PEACE WAS RESTORED IN 1856. RESTORED AND LIGHTNING CONDUCTER FIXED 1889' A prominent landmark.