Advice and support

Health advice

General and physical health

Local doctors or general practitioners (GPs) provide many services, including advice on health issues, examinations and treatment, prescriptions for medicines, and referrals to other health services or community services.

To find a GP, pharmacist, dentist, optician, or family planning service in your area, contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) for Calderdale Primary Care Trust on (freephone) 0800 1830912 or visit NHS Choices|External link.

There is an Accident and Emergency department at Calderdale Royal Hospital, Salterhebble, Halifax.
Main switchboard: 01422 357171.

For further information about acute healthcare services, contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) office at Calderdale Royal Hospital on 01422 222417.

Mental health

Many victims and survivors of domestic violence suffer from poor mental health, including anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, as a result of the violence or abuse. If you feel you are in need of an assessment from a specialist worker, you could ask your GP to make an appointment for you, or contact one of the Community Mental Health Teams on the numbers below. 

The Community Mental Health Teams are jointly managed by South West Yorkshire Mental Health Trust and Social Services, and enable people with severe mental illness to receive appropriate health and social care. You can contact them at - Contact Community Mental Health Teams

You can contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) for South West Yorkshire Mental Health Trust on 0800 587 2108 or 01422 368121 for information about local mental health services.


Pregnancy is a time when domestic violence can start; it is also a time when violence and abuse can escalate. Women are at an increased risk of suffering Domestic Violence both during pregnancy and following the birth of a child. A pregnant woman experiencing Domestic Violence may suffer miscarriage, early birth, still-birth, or sustain injuries to her unborn child. It is important that she attends for ante-natal care, so that she has support and regular contact with health care practitioners.
An antenatal drop- in clinic  are held at - WomenCentre|External link


Victims and survivors of domestic violence may self-harm as a way to cope with the violence and abuse. A person who self-harms is not necessarily suicidal or attempting to commit suicide. Many people self-harm safely, without risk to their lives.

If someone is admitted to hospital after self-harming, s/he may be referred to the Deliberate Self-Harm Team for a psychological assessment.

A person who is worried about self-harming could seek advice from a GP or contact one of the specialist helplines or websites - Advice and support

Sexual health

Many victims and survivors of Domestic Violence suffer from poor sexual, reproductive, and physical health as a consequence of violence and abuse.

The centre provides sexual health services to all men who have sex with men, and care and support for people infected or affected by HIV and AIDS, and their friends, families, or partners.

Sexual Health Helpline and Counselling Service: 08444 773855.

The centre provides a screening service for sexually transmitted infections, and a counselling service for all sexual health issues. Referral by GP or another agency needed for counselling.

More information on sexual health and contraception can be found here: Sexual health and contraception

Substance misuse

Some victims and survivors of domestic violence use drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with the violence and abuse. To get the support you need, see Health.

Keeping yourself safe

If you have concerns about someone knowing you are reading this information, follow the advice given at Keeping Yourself Safe|External link. To avoid similar problems in the future, use a computer in a local library.

Last Updated: 26/06/2014