Can I be sent to prison if I don't pay my Council Tax?

The most serious thing that could happen is that you go to prison.

If you do not pay your Council Tax and we have been unable to collect the outstanding amount by using other methods we will apply to the Magistrates' Court for a means enquiry summons (sometimes called a default summons or a committal summons). This is the first stage towards you possibly going to prison.

If you receive a committal summons, you should immediately contact us and get your own legal advice or help from a solicitor, your local law centre, or the Citizens Advice Bureau.


Council Tax Debt Recovery Enquiries
Revenues Recovery Section
Revenues Service
Town Hall
PO Box 51
e-mail: revenues.recovery@calderdale.gov.uk
Telephone: 01422 393984

Citizens Advice Bureau
Telephone: 01422 842848

Please note:

If you pay in full, you do not need to go to court.

If you do not pay in full, you must go to the court at the date and time shown on the summons.

Related Questions:

How can I pay my Council Tax? :
What happens at a committal hearing?


{{error}} loading

Sign up successful!

All that's left is for you to choose what news and updates are important to you.

{{gd_topics.length}} Available topics:
Save preferences ({{preferences}}) loading

Preferences updated

You've subscribed to {{preferences}} topics. Keep an eye on your inbox for tailored news and updates in Calderdale.

Got it!

Last Updated: 21/11/2005