People's Park is one of the finest surviving examples of a "Joseph Paxton" Park. Created in 1857, the Park was donated to the people of Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley, to be maintained by the then Halifax Corporation for all time.
Situated at the western edge of the town, the 12.5 acre site is in the heart of a conservation area. Sadly, the park suffered a decline in the past but it has been restored and once again, the People's Park is a green and pleasant haven for the people of Calderdale.
Restoration of People's Park
The restoration work, a major scheme jointly funded by English Heritage|, the Heritage Lottery Fund, Calderdale Council and West Central Halifax Partnership has returned the park to a condition which will bring long term benefits to users both locally and from further afield. Work commenced in 1995 and included:
- repairs to the Crossley Pavilion;
- replacement of all perimeter fences and gates;
- installation of CCTV (seven cameras);
- complete refurbishment of the band stand;
- construction of a brand new children's play area;
- extensive replanting and landscaping works;
- restoration of water features: fountain, lakes, promenade, bridges and sun-dial;
- cleaning of the statues;
- provision of new toilets and an information centre;
- replacement of the terrace balustrades;
- refurbishment of all paths, new seating and bins.
Please note: Dog Control Orders are now in force in Calderdale's parks.
Getting to the park
- King Cross Street
Halifax HX1 2TS
- Disabled Go: People's Park|.
Events and contact details
An annual programme of events is being developed to suit all tastes, including brass bands and gardening workshops. This Park, like all others in Calderdale, is available for organised events. For information on this or any other queries relating to the Park, interested parties should contact:
- Park Area Manager
- 01422 284428.