Event hosting and filming permissions

If you wish to hold an event in Calderdale’s public open spaces, including the highway, or if you wish to film in Calderdale, you should seek appropriate permission.

Street parties and small events

Calderdale Council supports communities who wish to have street parties and events in Calderdale.

Plan early. Depending on the nature of your event, applications need to be submitted between 4 and 12 weeks prior to the event.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has produced some useful guidance for potential organisers of small, private (residents and neighbours only) street parties in a residential setting: Your guide to organising a street party or fete [PDF file 418KB]|PDF file

The application form applies to street parties and events which:

In these cases, insurance, formal risk assessments and licenses (if any music is incidental and no selling is involved) will not normally be required. The Council does not want or require you to do anything additional to the guidance produced by the Government and we want you to have a safe and successful event.

If you believe your street party (or event) falls into the categories listed, use the application form included in the guide to let us know about your event. This is required to follow Government advice. Complete the form and return it to the address below.

Applications usually take up to 4 weeks to process.

For further advice and guidance email outdoorevents@calderdale.gov.uk.

Larger public events

If your event (or street party, etc) will:

then the requirements differ and you will have to apply to the Council. The Event application pack provides information on organising an event, including what you, as the event organiser, should do:

For further advice and application forms, contact the Events and Licensing Officer. Event application packs can also be requested. Note: other permissions may be required.

Our aim is to ensure that the process is reasonable, and proportionate to the scale of your event.


Although there are no laws to prevent filming on public streets, causing an obstruction or placing materials on the highway or on street furniture without an appropriate licence is an offence. If the Council is not aware that you will be filming in the area, there is a chance that you will be asked to stop.

You will be required to complete either a notification form or an application form. These can be obtained from the Events and Licensing Officer.


Last Updated: 09/02/2015