Housing benefit

Housing Benefit is a government scheme run by Local Authorities (Councils) to help people on low incomes to pay for their rent.

Welfare reform changes 2013 to 2014

The Welfare Reform Act has now passed through Parliament and is set to completely change the way in which welfare benefits, including Housing Benefit, are paid.

See how the changes could impact you if you're currently claiming Housing Benefit or other benefits:


Entitlement to Housing Benefit

Anyone who has to pay rent for his or her home can claim Housing Benefit:

You can live in:

To be entitled to Housing Benefit:

Housing Benefit is not available if you:

How much can you claim

To work out your Housing Benefit entitlement the Revenues and Benefits Service will look at:

If you rent your home from a private landlord, please read the information on the Local Housing Allowance page.

How to apply for housing benefit

People of working age (18-59 years old) who are either out of work or working less than an average of 16 hours per week and wish to claim Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Widow's Benefit at the same time should telephone the Job Centre Plus service contact centre on 0800 055 6688 (8am - 6pm Monday to Friday) to claim.

All other customers, including pensioners, can apply by completing Benefits application forms online.

This is also available from any Council finance cash office, Housing, Social Services, local education office or the Revenues and Benefits Service.

The documents you need to provide

When you make a claim for Housing Benefit we always need to see original documents for you, your partner and any other people who live in your household. Copies will not be accepted. Documents can be brought to any of our offices or can be posted to the Revenues and Benefits Service (PO Box 660, Halifax HX1 1ZT). Any documents posted to the Council will be returned by second-class post. However the Revenues and Benefits Service will not accept responsibility for the loss of any documents sent by post. It is therefore recommended that you bring any valuable documents to one of the offices listed on the contact page.

In order to process your claim for Housing Benefit and / or Council Tax Benefit we will need to see the following:

In order to process your claim for Housing Benefit we will also need to see the following evidence of rent charged. The evidence you provide must include the following:

Some examples of documents that might provide this are:

Fair processing notice

Calderdale MBC will ensure that any personal information provided by you in your application for Housing and or Council Tax Benefits will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. Calderdale MBC is the Data Controller of the information you have provided on this form and is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office for the purposes of processing your personal information in relation to your application.

The Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, in order to prevent and detect fraud. Therefore we may use the information you have provided on your application form to prevent and detect fraud. The Council may also share this information, for the same purposes, with other organisations which handle public funds. It may also be supplied to Experian, a Credit Reference Agency for the same purpose. The Council will not share your information for any other purpose without your explicit consent.

For further information about Data Protection please contact 0845 2456000 and ask to speak with the Council's Information Manager.

Last Updated: 21/03/2014