Your weekly food waste collection service
Food waste is collected in Calderdale so that you can recycle more and we can process it in a more environmentally friendly way.
All you need to do is empty food waste from your plate and peelings into your kitchen caddy, then into your large caddy and then put it out for collection. Your food waste will be collected every week on the same day as your normal recycling collection.
Why recycle your food waste?
Did you know that rotting food in landfill generates methane – a greenhouse gas that is 21 times more potent than carbon dioxide. Your actions will help to cut down on the amount of food waste that ends up in landfill sites. Since the average household bin is made up of 20% of food waste, it is important that we firstly reduce the amount that we throw away (visit Love Food Hate Waste|, and that we recycle everything that’s left over to prevent it from going to a landfill site.
What happens to your food waste?
Once we have collected your food waste, it is taken to a special processing plant where it is treated in an enclosed vessel. As the food breaks down, it produces green energy using a process called Anaerobic Digestion. This generates renewable energy and a nutrient-rich fertiliser that can be used to grow more food.
How do I use my food caddies?
To enable you to separate your food waste easily from the rest of your waste we provide you with:
- A kitchen caddy to collect your waste in the kitchen
- Food waste bags to line the caddy
- A larger outside caddy for you to place the (tied) food waste bags ready for collection on a weekly basis.
- Collect your waste in the small kitchen caddy;
- Tie up the bag to transfer it;
- Store the waste in the larger caddy ready for collection.
Please use the food waste bags provided by the Council as other alternatives may not meet the standard required by the processing plant.
When you require new food waste bags please leave a note on your large caddy on collection day and the recycling crew will leave a roll of liners inside your caddy.
What can I put in my caddy?
You can place any raw or cooked food into your caddy.
Yes please . . .
- Meat and fish – raw and cooked including bones;
- All dairy products such as eggs and cheese;
- Raw and cooked vegetables and fruit;
- Bread, cakes and pastries;
- Rice, pasta and beans;
- Uneaten food from your plates and dishes;
- Tea and coffee grounds.
No thanks . . .
- Packaging of any sort
- Plastic bags
- Oil or liquid fat