Clinical waste is any waste which may pose a threat of infection to people.
Medicines (liquids, tablets or injections), sharps bins and needles (used, unused, packaged or loose) which are no longer required must not, under any circumstances, be discarded at the Council's Household Waste Recycling Sites or put into your domestic waste bin.
To dispose of sharps and medicine waste, you can:
- take unwanted / out of date medicines to any community pharmacy for disposal;
- return sharps bins issued by a hospital to
- the hospital clinic / ward (always use this option for purple-lidded sharps bins)
- the central or commercial pharmacies within the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary or Calderdale Royal Hospital during their opening hours.
- return sharps bins given to you by your Doctor to your Doctor's surgery.
Or contact the Council to arrange a free collection from your home:
Online: Request collection of clinical waste
Telephone: 01422 288002.