Children's Centres offer services for children and families, providing early years education and childcare, health services and family support, all under one roof.
They are a service hub within the community for parents and providers of childcare services for children of all ages - offering a base for childminder networks and a link to other day care provision, out of school clubs and extended schools.
They provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere where families are provided with services that help them: be healthy; stay safe; enjoy and achieve; make a positive contribution; achieve economic well being.
Children's Centres also have links with local training and education providers, Jobcentre Plus and the Early Years and Childcare Sufficiency Team.
Children's Centres Commissioning
Last year, following the Member-led Commission looking at Early Years, the Council's Cabinet agreed to commission all 21 Children's Centres from external providers. This was underpinned by the following principles:
- No Children's Centre in Calderdale will close but the offer in each Centre will have to adapt to make the best use of the available resource
- Daycare will continue to be an important way in which the Children's Centres improve outcomes for children, but how the daycare is offered may change in order to minimise cost and maximise effectiveness and efficiency
- Children's Centres will continue to provide services for all Calderdale's children; vulnerable children will still be a priority within this
The transfer of all Calderdale's Children's Centres over to independent providers happened successfully on 1 July 2014.
North Halifax Partnership (NHP) now provide services at:
- Ash Green (Mixenden)
- Creations (Ling Bob)
- Field Lane
- Holywell Green
- Illingworth (Whitehill)
- Kevin Pearce
- Northowram and Shelf
- Wellholme Park
Halifax Opportunities Trust (HOT) now provide services at:
- Beech Hill
- Hebden Vale
- Little Stars (Parkinson Lane)
- Little Stars (Warley Road)
- New Road
- Southowram (Withinfields)
- Sunshine (Mount Pellon)
The Concil will continue to work closely with HOT and NHP, and with all the staff who provide a quality Children's Centre and family support service across Calderdale.