Financial forecast and strategies
The Capital Strategy demonstrates how the Council's Capital Programme supports its corporate priorities and sets the framework for developing the capital investment programme to deliver those priorities. The Strategy is intrinsically linked with the Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) of the Council and the Asset Management Plan (AMP) and should be read in conjunction with these documents.
The purpose of the Capital Strategy is:
- to ensure capital expenditure is aligned with the Council's priorities
- to ensure congruity with the Asset Management Plan (AMP) and process
- to maximise the use of resources
- to provide a clear framework for decisions relating to capital expenditure
- to establish a corporate approach to generating capital resources.
The Strategy covers the period from 2010/11 to 2012/13 but is reviewed, updated and rolled forward annually. It, along with the Corporate Asset Management Plan (AMP), continue to be developed to support improvement to services and the consequent well being of the people of Calderdale: Capital Strategy 2010/11 to 2012/13 [PDF file 803KB]|.
Medium Term Financial Strategy
The Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) is a key element within the Council's overall strategic planning framework. The Strategy takes a three year perspective and is reviewed, updated and rolled forward annually to set a framework for how budget pressures and priorities will be managed within the best estimates of available capital and revenue resources.
The latest MTFS relates to the financial years 2010/11 to 2012/13 and builds upon last year's by demonstrating more fully the way in which Partners' finances relate to the Council's, as well as providing more information on how resources are linked to priorities and plans.
Along with the need to plan for further efficiencies this updated MTFS identifies additional provision for the following priority areas:
- Protecting vulnerable people, and particularly children in care
- Social care needs to reflect changes in client numbers, in particular for increasing numbers of adults with learning disabilities
- Protecting the environment. Ensuring we can reduce reliance on landfill to dispose of waste, but providing for the additional cost of landfill where necessary
- Other improvement priorities
- Schools. These will remain a high priority and the plan assumes above general inflation increases in funding under the Dedicated Schools Grant (DSG) funding regime.
The MTFS is the first of the three phase process for setting the Council's final budget, followed by:
- Presentation of Draft Budget proposals for consultation (January)
- Presentation of the Final Budget to Budget Council (February / March).
- Medium Term Financial Strategy 2014-15 to 2016-17 [PDF file 338KB]|
- Medium Term Financial Strategy 2013-14 to 2015-16 [PDF file 279KB]|
- Medium Term Financial Strategy 2012-13 to 2014-15 [PDF file 322KB]|
- Medium Term Financial Strategy 2011-12 to 2013-14 [PDF file 182KB]|
- Medium term financial strategy and revenue budget 2010/11 to 2012/13 [PDF file 1112KB]|