The Electoral Services Unit is responsible for:
- The preparation and annual publication of the Electoral Register
- Maintaining and up-dating the register during the year through the rolling registration procedures
- Maintaining the absent voters lists i.e. electors who chose to vote by post or through a proxy appointed to vote on their behalf
- Arrangements for local (district and parish), national elections (parliamentary and European parliamentary) and referendums
- Arrangements for reviews of the electoral arrangements for the district.
The overall aim of the service is to manage the electoral registration and the election process in a transparent, accountable and innovative manner, to ensure that local people are fully able to exercise their right to vote and influence decisions that affect their lives.