Electoral register

Registering to vote

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the register of electors. We update the register every year, this is called the Annual Canvass of Electors, and during this time you need to fill in a canvass form to have your name and the names other members of your household included in the register.

We can also add names to the register throughout the rest of the year. All you have to do is fill in a Voter Registration Form.

If you want to register more than one person at your property, please use the Multiple Occupancy Voter Registration Form.

You have to sign your own form; someone else cannot do it for you. It is an offence to give false information when completing a registration form. Anyone found guilty of such an offence is liable to a term of imprisonment of up to 51 weeks and / or a fine of up to £5,000. People eligible to be included on the register of electors are:

When you send us your form we will add your name to our list of new applications. Any elector can then object to your name being added to the register. If this happens we will write to you.

If your application is not objected to, we will change your details within 2 to 6 weeks of receiving your form. We will write to tell you when your application is allowed. We will also tell the Electoral Registration Officer for your old address that you have moved, so that your name can be removed from that register. People who live at two homes (including students) are allowed to register at both. If you do not want your name to be removed from your old address please explain why on your form.

There are now Two versions of the register . Your name will be added to the full register, but you must tell us whether or not you want your name to be included in the edited register (version available for sale).

If your personal details, other than your address,have changed, such as your surname, you need to complete a Voter Amendment Form.

If you need to remove a name from the register, you need to complete a Voter Deletion Form

Further information about registering to vote can be found on The Electoral Commission website: About My Vote|External link.

Cookie control

To give you the very best experience, this website sets cookies on your computer. If you continue without changing the settings on your browser, you consent to this.

Alternatively, you can find out how to change your cookie settings by visiting our Privacy policy

Always allow cookies Ignore
Copyright © Calderdale Council
Town Hall, Crossley Street, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 1UJ
Privacy Policy : W3C Valid CSS : W3C Valid XHTML 1.0 :
Web Site Performance : Disclaimer and copyright

Last Updated: 05/07/2013