Council Tax

A guide to your Council Tax

Valuation bands

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on the valuation band into which your property has been allocated. Except for those areas, which have Parish Council precepts (where additional amounts will be charged) each property in the same valuation band will be charged the same amount of Council Tax. The amount payable by individual taxpayers will however differ due to rebates, discounts and other reductions, which might apply.

Leader of the council's statement [PDF file 47KB]|PDF file

Your Council Tax Bill - Explanatory Notes [PDF file 149KB]|PDF file

The various proportions of all the Council Tax Property Valuation Bands are shown in the following Table as is the amount of Council Tax, which will be charged for 2015-16.

BandRange of Property ValuesCouncil Tax 2015-2016
AUp to and including £40,000£967.29
B£40,001 - £52,000£1,128.50
C£52,001 - £68,000£1,289.71
D£68,001 - £88,000£1,450.92
E£88,001 - £120,000£1,773.34
F£120,001 - £160,000£2,095.77
G£160,001 - £320,000£2,418.21
HExceeding £320,000£2,901.84


Parish Charges

The annual budget for 2015-2016 is shown in the Table below. If you live in one of the following Parish / Town Council areas you will have to pay extra. The amount of the extra charge applicable to your band will be shown on your bill. These areas are covered by:

Parish-Town CouncilBudget for 2015-2016
Blackshaw Parish Council£5,775
Erringden Parish Council£1,405
Hebden Royd Town Council£224,164
Heptonstall Parish Council£15,750
Ripponden Parish Council£39,713
Todmorden Parish Council£161,048
Wadsworth Parish Council£12,026

Appeals against your band should be directed by post to:


Who is responsible for payment of Council Tax?

Normally the person living in the property will pay the Council Tax, providing it is their sole or main residence and they are 18 years of age or over.

If more than one person lives in the property, then it is the person who comes first on the following list:


Where the money goes

Service area2014-2015
£ m
Chief Executive's Office16.6
Adults, Health and Social Care71.4
Children and Young People143.3
Economy and Environment33.6
Communities and Service Support32.2
Housing Benefits71.7
Levies and other services38.0
£ m
£ m
£ m
Gross Expenditure433.8406.8-27.0
Fees and Charges-37.6-35.22.4
Grants and Contributions-121.0-119.51.5
Dedicated Schools Grant (DSG)-119.1-103.016.1
RSG/Top Up-54.5-42.711.8
Local Retained Rates-28.0-28.8-0.8
Contribution from Balances0.0-2.2-2.2
Contribution from Earmarked Reserves-0.5-1.4-0.9
Collection Fund Surplus (-)-0.7-1.1-0.4
Total Gross Income-361.4-333.927.5
Council Tax Requirement72.472.90.5


Services covered by your Council Tax

Council Tax money also covers services not supplied by the council such as the West Yorkshire Transport Services, Fire and Rescue Services and Crime and Police Services.

West Yorkshire Combined Authority [PDF file 91KB]|PDF file

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service [PDF file 160KB]|PDF file

Police and Crime Commissioner - Council Tax|External link


How the Council Tax requirements are calculated

£ m
£ m
Per Resident
£ m
Per Resident
£ m
Calderdale Aggregate Expenditure433.8406.82,072.621,945.48
Parish Council Precepts0.50.52.392.39
Calderdale Aggregate Income-361.4-333.9-1,726.71-1,596.84
Total CMBC and Parishes Council Tax Income72.973.4348.30351.03
WY Fire and Rescue Authority Precept3.33.415.7716.26
WY Police Authority Precept8.08.238.2239.22
Council Tax (inc. Parish receipts)84.285.0402.29406.50
Calderdale Population..209,300209,100


Discounts and exemptions

There are a number of discounts and exemptions that may be available on your council tax bill examples include for carers, single occupiers, students and individuals with disabilities or severe mental health issues.

Discounts and exemptions are granted based on existing council tax records and will be shown of the front of your bill. If your property has not been treated as exempt but you think it should be, you should let us know.

If it is been treated as having a discount or exemption but should not be, you must tell us as soon as possible or a penalty of at least £70 may be charged.


Empty Homes Premium

Calderdale Council is committed to enabling the provision of housing by encouraging owners to bring empty properties back into use.

Councillors decided to use the powers in the 2012 Local Government Finance Act to introduce an Empty Homes Premium of 50% from 1 April 2014 where the property had been empty for two years or more. This means that unless a discount or exemption applies, 150% council tax will be payable for such properties.

Calderdale Council also agreed that as an incentive for new owners that if within 1 year of buying a property that is or becomes subject to empty homes premium, the property is brought back into use, the owner will qualify for a refund of any empty homes premium paid during that time.

To make a claim for this incentive please contact:



If you think you are not liable for council tax (e.g. you are not the resident or owner, or your property qualifies for exemption), or a mistake appears to have been made in calculating your bill, you should let us know as soon as possible.

If agreement cannot be reached, you will be told how to make a formal appeal. Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of council tax. If your appeal is successful, you will be credited with the amount of any overpaid tax.


Calderdale Council Council Tax Reduction

More information is available about the local scheme which is designed to help households on a low income to pay their council tax bill.


Help and support is available ... you just need to take the step in asking for it.

What happens if I don't pay? If you're struggling to pay your bill please get in touch, with us, don't wait for a reminder or other threatening letter.

More about Council Tax

Your Council Tax guide 2014/2015 [PDF file 1584KB]|PDF file

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

What happens if I don't pay?

Last Updated: 20/05/2015