Councillors and co-opted members

2011 has made changes to the way in which local Councils are required to deal with matters relating to the conduct of Councillors and co-opted members. Calderdale Council and the Parish / Town Councils in the Calderdale area have each adopted a new Code of Conduct for Members, and Calderdale Council has the responsibility for considering written complaints against:

The role of the Standards Committee

Calderdale Council has established a Standards Committee, made up of Councillors and co-opted members, which has the role of:

The role of the Independent Person

The ‘Independent Person’ is a new role set up by the Localism Act 2011 and is there to assist the Council in the investigation of complaints of breaches of the Code of Conduct for Members, and generally in relation to the Council’s duty to promote and maintain high standards of conduct for its Members. An Independent Person has to be someone from outside of the Council.

What this means to you?

If you want to complain about the conduct of a Councillor or co-opted member of Calderdale Council, or any parish or town councillor within the Calderdale , you must submit your complaint in writing to The Monitoring Officer at Calderdale MBC stating the nature of your complaint, and where possible, enclosing supporting evidence.

If your complaint refers to the failure of a Councillor or co-opted member to register or disclose a disclosable pecuniary interest, as this is now a criminal offence, the matter will have to be referred to the Police for investigation.

Last Updated: 16/01/2017