Domestic violence and abuse

Domestic violence, sometimes called domestic abuse, is a serious problem. It is not just physical (slapping, punching or kicking), it can be someone trying to control what you do.

It can include sexual and emotional abuse.

An abuser may threaten you, control your money or use anything else to make you do things they want, including forcing you into marriage.

Domestic violence is not your fault and you are not alone.

Tell someone

Always call 999 in an emergency.

If you are a victim of domestic violence or you know a person who is suffering abuse, tell someone. There are many people who can help:

Increase your safety

If you are still living with or have contact with your abusive partner, there are steps you can take to increase your personal safety (and that of your children). See Safety planning.

Advice and support

Confidential, non-judgemental support and advice is available whether you are a victim, a survivor or the person who is committing the abuse. The primary support for women and children in Calderdale is provided by:

Male victims of abuse can get help from:

These organisations can put you in touch with other local and national organisations that can help you cope with and recover from your experiences. In addition, we have listed details below for some of these services:

If you are a child or young person needing help and advice the links below may help;

Forced Marriage and Honour Based Abuse

If you need help,or are worried about someone who may be at risk of forced marriage or honour based abuse, this Forced marriage flyer [PDF file 279KB]|PDF fileand Forced marriage poster [PDF file 184KB]|PDF fileinclude useful contact details and information. 

Clare's Law

This is the  Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme which gives members of the public a ‘right to ask’ Police where they have a concern that their partner may pose a risk to them or where they are concerned that the partner of a member of their family or a friend may pose a risk to that individual.

If an application is made under the scheme, Police and partner agencies will carry out checks and if they show that the partner has a record of abusive offences, or there is other information to indicate that there may be a risk from the partner, the partners will make a decision about whether to disclose information.

If you require further information about the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme or wish to make a request for information under it, please contact West Yorkshire Police on 101. The following links provide more detailed information about how the scheme operates:


Keeping yourself safe

If you have concerns about someone knowing you are reading this information, follow the advice given at Keeping Yourself Safe|External link. To avoid similar problems in the future, use a computer in a local library.

Last Updated: 05/02/2016