Skip licence

If you are a member of the public, you will need to appoint a skip operator in order to hire a skip to place on the public highway.

The skip operator will need permission from the Calderdale Street Works department to place the skip at the desired location; the skip should be placed on the carriageway, preferably not on the footway or verge. A skip licence is £30 and is valid for 28 days; if the skip is needed for longer than 28 days a new application must be made by the skip operator before the original licence expires.

How to apply

Please email with the full details of the location of the skip, along with the dates that the permit is required. Please note no payment will be required up front as our skip licences are invoiced quarterly – you will need to provide the full invoice address and email address

Any person wanting to start a business as a skip operator needs to ensure that they comply with all the relevant legislation by having the necessary certificates and licences. These will include, for example, having a Waste Carrier's Licence and Public Liability Insurance. For further information about Waste Carrier's licences visit Register or renew as a waste carrier or broker|External link.

To apply for an operating permit, skip operators should contact Licensing enquiries

For legislation on the control of skips, please click here

Last Updated: 28/09/2016