Scrap metal dealing licence

Licence Summary

In order to run a scrap metal business you must be licensed by the Local Authority. There are two types of licence:

A site licence this will be required where a business is carried on as a scrap metal dealer at a premises. A site manager will be required to be named for each site. The licensee will then be permitted to operate from that site as a scrap metal dealer including transporting to and from those sites from any local authority area.

A site licence authorises the licensee to carry on business at any site in the authority's area which is identified on the licence. All the sites where the applicant carries on business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified and a site manager has to be appointed for each site. This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.

A site is the place where scrap metal is bought and sold, even if it isn’t the place where the scrap metal is stored. So, if you own a number of places in Calderdale where you buy or sell scrap metal, each place will need to be included on your site licence application. If you buy scrap metal door to door, and do not have a place where you buy or sell the metal then you will need a collector’s licence instead.

If you hold a site licence you can transport scrap metal to and from other authority areas.

A collector’s licence this authorises the licensee to operate as a mobile collector in the area of the issuing local authority, permitting them to collect scrap metal as appropriate. This includes commercial as well as domestic scrap metal. If a mobile collector operates within more than one local authority’s district, a licence will be required for each authority that they operate in.

This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, so a separate licence has to be obtained from each council the collector wishes to operate in.

The licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site where scrap metal is bought and sold. To do so they will need a site licence.

Eligibility Criteria

The council can only issue a licence to someone they consider to be suitable. Relevant offences and enforcement action can be taken into consideration, as well as any other information. We will need to ensure that the person or company applying for the licence exists and so you may be asked to present your ID.

Applying for a licence

All applications must be made on the application form provided by Calderdale Council.

The application can be made online

Apply online

You can apply for this licence online via GOV.UK:

Or alternatively at Customer First Halifax

You are required to supply a basic disclosure for the person making the application, including partners, and the site managers, which will provide a record of any convictions they may have. If you do not have access to the internet, you can contact Disclosure Scotland for a form you can complete and return by post.

Please remember that a basic disclosure only remains valid for three months.



{{error}} loading

Sign up successful!

All that's left is for you to choose what news and updates are important to you.

{{gd_topics.length}} Available topics:
Save preferences ({{preferences}}) loading

Preferences updated

You've subscribed to {{preferences}} topics. Keep an eye on your inbox for tailored news and updates in Calderdale.

Got it!

Last Updated: 15/06/2016