Scrap metal dealing licence

Licensing enquiries

For Private Hire and Hackney Carriage licensing enquiries:

For all other licensing enquiries:

The Licensing Unit would welcome your comments on the services which they provide and are continually looking to improve the licensing service provided by the Council.

Your completion of the Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire would greatly assist in our efforts to improve.

Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire [PDF file 129KB]|PDF file

Consumer complaint

In the event of a complaint about a licensed business you should first contact the trader, preferably in writing and with proof of delivery.

If the problem persists you can contact the Council via the  Licensed activity complaints form. The Council will then investigate the issue in line with the Licensing Concordat of Good Enforcement.

Alternatively, you could contact West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service|External link, or from outside the UK The European Consumer Centres Network|External link.

Failed application redress

An applicant who is refused a licence or licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence should contact the Licensing Unit.

The Licensing Unit's standards and procedures are outlined in the

Licensing Concordat of Good Enforcement [PDF file 56KB]|PDF file

If after contacting the service you are still not satisfied, see Compliments and complaints: The Council.

Public registers

Further information in relation to any particular licence, certificate or application is available by contacting the Licensing Unit.

Last Updated: 18/07/2016