Private Hire and Hackney Carriage licences
Application forms and guidance notes
Please read the relevant guidance notes below before completing the licence application form.
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy [PDF file 553KB]|
- Guidance Notes for Private Operator Licence [PDF file 90KB]|
- Guidance Notes for Renewal of Driver Licence [PDF file 241KB]|
- Driver Medical Examination Form [PDF file 1480KB]|
- Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Driver Licence Application Form [PDF file 156KB]|
- Hackney Carriage Licence Renewal Application [PDF file 156KB]|
- Private Hire Operator Licence Application [PDF file 309KB]|
- Private Hire Vehicle Licence Application Form [PDF file 249KB]|
- Transfer of Vehicle Licence Application [PDF file 859KB]|
- Application to allow Display of Adverts [PDF file 30KB]|
For current licence fees see Private hire and hackney carriage licence fees.
Disclosure and Barring Service update service
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks are required for all new licence applicants and every 3 years following issue of a driver’s licence. You can be in greater control of the DBS check when renewing a certificate by joining the Update Service|. The Update Service will cost you £13 per year to maintain.
Benefits of the Update Service
- No more DBS application forms to complete;
- No waiting for the checks to come back, saving you time and money.
You will only need another DBS check if there are changes to the information on your record, such as a caution or convictions being recorded; and you would then need to make another application to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
How to subscribe to the Update Service
When you are next due for a DBS check take the opportunity to subscribe to the Update Service|.
To subscribe you will need:
- your DBS application form reference number or
the reference number on the resulting DBS Certificate (within 14 days of its issue);
- a credit or debit card.
If you join with your DBS application form reference number your subscription will start from the date of issue printed on your DBS Certificate. If for some reason your application form is withdrawn your subscription fee will be refunded and your subscription cancelled.
Note: we do need to see your DBS Certificate when it has been issued and this should be brought to Halifax Customer First, Horton Street.