Temporary event notices

What is a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)?

Temporary Event Notices are for temporary events involving licensable activities prescribed under the Licensing Act 2003.

Such activities can include the sale of alcohol, the supply of alcohol to or on behalf of a club member, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.

A Temporary Event Notice can be used to

The premises user, the person giving the Temporary Event Notice (TEN), does not need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a TEN.

Unlike a Premises Licence, the application does not need to be advertised.

The police or local authority  exercising environmental health functions may intervene to prevent such an event taking place or agree a modification of the proposed arrangements, and their intervention may in some cases result in the licensing authority imposing conditions on a temporary event notice. 

Using a Temporary Event Notice

The TEN must be given to the Licensing authority in the form prescribed in regulations made under the 2003 Act. Unless it is sent electronically, it must be sent to the relevant licensing authority, to the police and local authority exercising environmental health functions at least ten working days before the event (although a premises user may give a limited number of TENs to the licensing authority less than 10 days before the event to which the relate). 

Calderdale Licensing Authority encourages premises users to give notice earlier than the ten working days limit to ensure there are no delays.

The Licensing Authority will either acknowledge receipt of the notice or, in consideration of any Police or Environmental Health objection, will refer the matter to its Licensing Sub Committee for consideration.


The police and local authority exercising environmental health functions have a period of three working days from when they are given the notice to object to it on the basis of any of the four licensing objectives. 

Limits on the use of Temporary Event Notices

Anyone aged 18 years or over can give a maximum of 5 Temporary Event Notices per calendar year. Personal Licence Holders can give a maximum of fifty Temporary Event Notices per calendar year.

Temporary Event Notices are subject to other maximum limits, as set out below:

A TEN is treated as being from the same premises user if it's given by an associate. The Act defines an associate as being a spouse, child, parent, grandchild, grandparent, brother or sister or their spouses, or agent or employee of that person or their spouse.

Using Temporary Event Notices for a series of events

It is possible to send a series of TENs together (for one calendar year, for example) provided that the first of the events is at least ten working days from the date received by the Licensing Authority.

A separate TEN must be submitted for each event along with the prescribed fee.

Large-scale events

Temporary Event Notices cannot be used for events of more than 499 people at the premises at any one time. If you are planning such an event, you will need to obtain a Premises Licence if the premises are not already licensed. Please contact the Licensing Authority to discuss any requirements further.

Planning laws

The giving of a TEN does not relieve the premises user from any requirements under planning law for appropriate planning permission where it is required.


Under the Act it will be unlawful to allow any unaccompanied child under the age of 16 to be present on premises where the TEN is exclusively or primarily used for supply and consumption of alcohol. It will also be unlawful to permit children under 16 not accompanied by an adult between midnight and 5 am into any premises operating under a TEN supplying alcohol for consumption.

Notes and regulations

The Government gives full details of Temporary Event Notice Regulations: for further information visit: .

Contact details

Last Updated: 22/10/2015