Environmental permits


An environmental permit is a legal document containing conditions that are intended to prevent or minimise pollution from an industrial or commercial activity.  The activities that need an environmental permit are listed in the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (as amended). A permit may be issued by the Council or by the Environment Agency.

Environmental permits fall into several types:

  1. Part A (1) permits for large or complex industrial installations and most waste activities
  2. Part A (2) permits for intermediate installations
  3. Part B permits for relatively simple installations
  4. Permits issued under Schedules to the Regulations.
Map showing Part B permitted premises

Types of permits issued by the Council include Part A(2) and Part B permits, as well as some permits issued under Schedules 13A and 14. Part A (1) permits and most waste activity permits are issued by the Environment Agency. Part A (1) and A (2) permits are concerned with emissions to air, land and water, while Part B permits are, broadly speaking, only concerned with emissions to air. For many activities a simplified form of permit is available.

Some small-scale activities involving waste can operate under an exemption registered with the Council.

To identify premises in Calderdale operating under a Part B permit, see Calderdale maps online: Pollution.

Legal background

The legislation relating to environmental permits is set out in the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010, with several sets of amendments including the transposition of several EU Directives.  The regulations, and a fuller explanation of how they are applied, are set out on the Defra website: Pollution Prevention and Control: Guidance, regulations and directives|External link.

Some of the processes requiring a permit are:

This is not a complete list and you should contact the Council if you are not sure whether your process requires a permit.  Burning waste oil is no longer permitted under a Part B permit.

Exemptions from the need to obtain an environmental permit

In exceptional circumstances the Council may decide that a particular installation is 'trivial', being so unlikely to cause pollution that it does not need a permit.  The Council periodically reviews installations of this kind to make sure the process remains unlikely to cause pollution.

Certain activities involving waste need an exemption registered with one of the regulators.  While most exemptions must be registered with the Environment Agency two specific exemptions must be registered with the Council.  These are exemptions for decontaminating metals using heat (a T3 exemption) and micro-scale crushing of bricks, tiles and concrete (a T7 exemption).

To register one of these exemptions please complete and return the appropriate form.

Last Updated: 01/06/2016