Street naming and numbering

Addressing procedure and application forms

New developments

Where there are no new streets to name, the Council will number the properties from the developer's plan in accordance with the Council's addressing guidelines. We shall submit the addresses to Royal Mail to obtain the correct post town and postcode and then notify the developer of the full postal address. We shall also notify the organisations listed below. Once the development is complete, the developer should notify Royal Mail so that the addresses can be added to the Postcode Address File.

Where there are new streets to be named, we shall check our own records and consult with ward councillors, Royal Mail and the emergency services to check that there are no problems with the proposed name(s). The consultation period is twenty-eight days and resolving any negative comments can obviously add to this. Once the street names are agreed, we shall number the buildings from the developer's plan  and submit the addresses to the Royal Mail as above.

In order to start the procedure, you should complete: New Postal Address: Application form [PDF file 164KB]|PDF file and submit it with a plan to:

The plan must be at a scale of either 1:1250 or 1:2500 and should show a north point, the layout of the development including the site boundary, the layout of any new streets, the footprint of all the buildings and the plot numbers. Ideally, the plan should not show details of any trees or street works. Alternatively, if you have included a suitable plan in your planning application, you only need to quote the planning application number and the drawing reference.

For further information see Timescale and charges.

Changing an existing address

The Council procedure for changing an address is similar to the procedure for creating a new address; however, where a change will affect more than one property, we shall need evidence that there is general agreement to the change. For example, a change to the name of a street requires the consent of two-thirds of the council-tax payers in the street, by law. If you wish to change the name of a street, you will therefore have to send in a signed 'Change of Address consent form' from the properties on the street with your 'Change of Street Name' application form.

You may have a property which already has an address which you wish to change. This can happen if it only has a name and you don't like the name or think it is inappropriate; it can also happen on new developments where the development has been incorrectly numbered and it is easier to accept the wrong numbers than to change back to the right ones.

In this case, you should complete a Change of Address: Application form [PDF file 70KB]|PDF file and return it to:

If the proposed change will affect more than one address e.g. in a block of flats, or where properties have been incorrectly numbered, you should also send a signed 'Change of Address consent form' from each property affected by the change.

Change of Address: Consent form [PDF file 82KB]|PDF file

For information about the charges see Highways and Engineering Services charges.

Street name plates and numbers

Street nameplates are provided by the Council so when you are nearly ready for the nameplates, you should contact the Street Lighting Team (telephone 01422 392902) and allow up to eight weeks for them to arrive as they have to be ordered specially. Any building names and numbers on doors you should supply and erect yourself.


Once a new or altered address has been confirmed, the Council will notify the following organisations so that services can be connected and land ownership can be registered:

The address will also be circulated within the Council to ensure that your property receives Council services such as dustbins and voting papers.

Last Updated: 27/06/2016