Advice and training

Advice for the public

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 applies to work activities. This includes the requirement to ensure the safety of members of the public who may be affected by the work activities. This includes shops, public buildings and leisure facilities for example.

Environmental Health enforce the health and safety at work legislation in retailers, wholesalers, offices, catering premises, leisure services and consumer services.

The Health and Safety Executive|External link enforce the legislation in manufacturing, health, construction, agriculture and education sectors and where work is carried out in domestic premises.

If you have a serious concern regarding public health and safety at a work place contact the appropriate enforcing authority. Contact Environmental Health or the Health and Safety Executive on 0300 0031647.

If you are unsure who enforces the health and safety legislation at a particular workplace, please contact Environmental Health.


{{error}} loading

Sign up successful!

All that's left is for you to choose what news and updates are important to you.

{{gd_topics.length}} Available topics:
Save preferences ({{preferences}}) loading

Preferences updated

You've subscribed to {{preferences}} topics. Keep an eye on your inbox for tailored news and updates in Calderdale.

Got it!

Last Updated: 06/10/2015