Useful links

Building control

Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 - How to notify a project|External link
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 known as CDM 2015 require contractors to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of certain construction projects that last more than 30 working days or involve more than 500 person work days. The link connects to the HSE website and provides further information.

Department for Transport|External link
This government department specialises solely in transport issues.

Equality and Human Rights Commission|External link
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DRC) closed on 28 September 2007 and transferred to the new Equality and Human Rights Commission on 1 October 2007. The Equality and Human Rights Commission offers advice relating to a variety of legal implications under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, which impact upon the built environment.

Approved Document M to the Building Regulations, 'Access to and Use of Buildings', provides guidance to ensure a more inclusive approach to design that accommodates the needs of all people.

Environment Agency|External link
This government department provides news, information, research and data about the environment in England and Wales.

Forestry Commission|External link
Responsible for advising Ministers on forestry policy and for implementing that policy in Britain.

Institution of Fire Engineers|External link
The Institution aims to 'promote, encourage and improve the science and practice of fire extinction, fire prevention and fire engineering'. It has branches world-wide, including a branch in West Yorkshire.

Health and Safety Executive|External link
HSE is the national independent watchdog for work-related health, safety and illness.

We are an independent regulator and act in the public interest to reduce work-related death and serious injury across Great Britain’s workplaces.

Local Authority Building Control|External link
Local Authority Building Control (LABC) is dedicated to maintaining the highest standards in building design and construction. This site lists all the members nationally complete with their contact details.

Local Authority Building Control|External link
LABC is the Member Organisation representing all Local Authority Building Control departments in England and Wales. This website provides links and information for both the National and Regional bodies of LABC.

Met Office|External link
The Met Office operate a network of weather observing sites around the United Kingdom and also operate two networks of forecasting offices; one specializing in the provision of information to the armed forces, especially the RAF, and the other focusing on services to industry, commerce, including the media, and to the public.

National Grid|External link
National Grid owns and operates the electricity transmission system in England and Wales and is responsible for matching the generation of electricity with demand, 24 hours a day.

npower|External link
Now incorporating Yorkshire Electricity, one of the providers of electricity and gas services to Yorkshire, nPower are also involved in the development of wind farms in the area.

Office of Public Sector Information|External link
The Office of Public Sector Information site offers a wealth of information, including full text acts of Parliament since 1996. Of particular relevance is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996|External link.

Planning Portal: Do you need permission?|External link
Detailed information on whether Building Regulations are required.

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors|External link
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors is the global professional body required to act in the public interest at all times, which represents, regulates and promotes chartered surveyors and technical surveyors.

Summary of Duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015|External link
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 known as CDM 2015 place duties on all those involved in the design and construction of building projects whether they are the client, the designer or the contractor. The link connects to the HSE website and provides further information.

Yorkshire Water|External link
Yorkshire Water Services provides households and businesses, in the Yorkshire area, with their water and sewerage services.

Last Updated: 03/05/2016